Search Site
Find us on Google Maps
Search Site
Find us on Google Maps

Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Local: 907-272-2203 // Toll Free: 800-481-7140

Life Doesn’t End After Your Court Order

Many things can change in the months and years after a divorce has been finalized. For example, people can obtain new employment, get remarried, lose jobs or relocate. A substantial change in material condition can require one to seek a modification to an existing divorce decree.

Other parents may have difficulty making payments or may refuse to make court-ordered child support payments.

I am Dorothea G. Aguero, an Alaska family law attorney with more than 25 years of legal experience. From my office in Anchorage, I help people throughout Alaska who are seeking and contesting modifications to existing court orders, and I help parents enforce existing child support orders.

What Types Of Divorce Issues Can Be Modified?

Decisions are made during divorce proceedings involving the children and spousal support. I can assist with the following:

  • Child support modifications: Child support payment amounts are reviewed regularly due to a mandatory state formula. Payments can be modified upward or downward based upon factors that include a parent’s increase or decrease in income or based upon changes to parenting time schedules.
  • Child custody and visitation modifications: Where the children live can change, whether due to a parent’s request to relocate with minor children, an older child’s desire to live with one parent over the other, changes to family schedules and other circumstances.
  • Spousal support modifications: When one party’s financial circumstances change — such as in the event of remarriage — alimony payments should be reconsidered.

Enforcing An Existing Order

When you are struggling financially to raise a child, obtaining the full amount of court-ordered child support, on time, is essential. There are numerous ways to get a nonpaying parent to pay child support. For example, I can help you obtain a contempt of court judgment against the nonpaying parent. The court can then take legal action to force payment, including wage garnishment and other actions.

Contact An Anchorage Divorce Decree Modification Attorney

If you need to speak with a lawyer about a modification, I encourage you to contact me to schedule a confidential consultation. I represent clients throughout Alaska. For assistance, call 800-481-7140 or contact me by email.